Crystal Palace news: Italian director speaks on failed January transfer, Eagles loanee’s message #PremierLeague

Crystal Palace news: Italian director speaks on failed January transfer, Eagles loanee’s message




Original Source


The weekend is almost upon us, but there is no game for Crystal Palace.

Palace are one of the sides not involved this coming weekend in the Premier League as Roy Hodgson’s men take a break from top flight action.

Palace were beaten 3-1 by Everton in their last game at Goodison Park on Saturday, leaving Roy Hodgson’s men in 14th place in the Premier League with 12 games to go.

Bournemouth’s 2-1 defeat against Sheffield United and Brighton & Hove Albion’s 1-1 draw with Watford helped the Eagles, with Palace six points above the bottom three.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

However, some teams below them do now have a game in hand, with the Eagles not playing again until Saturday, February 22, when they host Newcastle United at Selhurst Park.

Below, we take a look at the latest Palace news.

Club director speaks out on failed transfer

Crystal Palace fans were left frustrated in the January transfer window, with only Cenk Tosun arriving to boost Roy Hodgson’s first team squad.

The Eagles wanted another striker, but were unable to bring one in, with Connor Wickham heading out on loan to join Sheffield Wednesday.

One player who was linked with Palace was Cristian Kouame, who ended up joining Fiorentina in a deal that could be worth up to £14million, despite rupturing a cruciate ligament in November, ruling him out until the summer.

Cristian Kouame in action for Genoa. Photo: MIGUEL MEDINA/AFP via Getty Images

But it could have been a different story, with Fiorentina sporting director Daniele Prade admitting that the serious knee injury scuppered a move from Genoa to Crystal Palace.

“Cristian had already been sold to Crystal Palace, but the injury stopped everything,” Prade said.

Prade added that Fiorentina took the decision to sign Kouame by mutual agreement with the president, adding that the Serie A side are confident he will prove to be a good buy, despite his injury.

“Cristian is a strong footballer. Buying an injured player in January may seem like a risk, but it is not.”

Lokilo’s message amid loan deal

Jason Lokilo played in a Doncaster Rovers shirt for the first time this week since joining the League One club on loan.

The 21-year-old joined Rovers on loan until the end of the season on transfer deadline day in January, with Lokilo playing for their U23 side in the Central League against Mansfield Town on Tuesday night.

Doncaster lost the game 2-1, but Lokilo had a hand in Rovers’ goal and he has spoken of how easy it has been for him to settle in South Yorkshire.

“The boys have been great with me and I’m really happy to be here. Everyone has been good to me, everything has been simple and settling in has been easy,” he said, speaking to Doncaster’s club website.

“I think the club has got a great manager and it’s a club that loves to play good football.

“I still have a bit of work to do but I’m listening to the coaches and I will be ready when the gaffer needs me.”



Amazon’s 30-Day FREE Trials