Watford players apologise after alleged coronavirus lockdown breach
The pair are alleged to have been involved at a party at Gray’s house on Friday to celebrate the striker’s 29th birthday.
Footage emerged on social media over the weekend of the event, which is claimed to have had possibly 20 people in attendance.
Current government lockdown rules allow six people to meet in gardens or parks if social distancing of two metres is observed.
Watford have since launched an investigation into the matter and were on Monday continuing to make enquiries to discover what exactly has happened.
Gray and Quina were all left out of Watford’s squad for their 3-1 defeat to Southampton on Sunday, with the club stating they “have all been omitted from the squad by Nigel Pearson to ensure the health & safety of all players, staff and officials at today’s game”.
The pair have now both apologised after posting messages on their Instagram accounts.
Gray said: “I wanted to wait to make public apology as my first apology need to be to my team mates and staff first for not being able to be involved in yesterdays game and the risk I may have caused!
“I just want to reiterate it was not a late night party like what is being portrayed and only a gathering of friends which turned into a sort of football tournament on my birthday! I understand my responsibilities and will do what it takes to make it right, apologies again! (sic)”.
Quina said: “I want to make a public apology for attending my team mates birthday gathering last week. It was a silly mistake to make in putting the health and safety of my family, my team mates and others at risk.
“I am in a privileged position as a professional footballer and I appreciate that comes with the responsibility of making good decisions and acting in the right way. Let us all move on in the knowledge that I will be doing all I can, if called upon, to keep us up which is what the fans deserve. (sic)”